The days of the week in Italian are called i giorni della settimana [ee JOHR-nee DEHL-lah seht-tee-MAH-nah]. It can be useful to know how to say i giorni della settimana when you are planning your trip to Italy: to book an hotel or a guided tour, or to make an appointment. I admit it. The days of the week in English and German are complicated for me. I always confuse Tuesday and Thursday and, in the same way, I confuse Dienstag und Donnerstag. What can I do? Everytime I have to check! How embarassing!
The days of the week in Italian derive their names from Latin. Each day is dedicated to a different God.
Days of the week in Italian:
- lunedì [looh-neh-DEE] Monday, tha day of the Moon. Moon in Italian is luna [LOOH- nah].
- martedì [mahr-teh-DEE] Tuesday, day of Mars. In Italian Mars is Marte [MAHR- teh]
Turn on the speakers and listen to the pronunciation of lunedì and martedì!
mercoledì [mehr-koh-leh-DEE] Wednesday, day of Mercury. In Italian Mercury is Mercurio [mehr -KOO- ryoh]
- giovedì [joh-veh-DEE] Thursday, day of Jupiter. In Italian Jupite is Giove [DJOH – veh]
- venerdì [veh-nehr-DEE] Friday, day of Venus. In Italian Venus is Venere [VEH -neh -reh]
Now listen to mercoledì, giovedì and venerdì!
sabato [SAH-bah-toh] Saturday, day of Saturn. In Italian Saturn is Saturno [Sah -TOOR -noh]. I was born on Saturday. As a reader pointed out, the Saturn reference applies to the English version of this day. The Italian name refers to Hebrew shabbat, the day of rest.
- domenica [doh-MEH-nee-kah] Sunday, the day of the lord. Lord in Italian is Signore, but it is dominus in Latin.
Finally you can listen to sabato and domenica!
Now you know how to say the days of the week in Italian.
Thank you for reading & listening. Enjoy and practise! And let me know if you get confused like me between the name of two different days ;)!
I thought Sabato means the sabbath, not Saturn.
Do you know you’re right? Now I have to correct the mistake… I don’t know hoe to correct also the drawing and the video, since they’re published ed edited. I’d have to re-draw and re-edit.. my God! Plus now I’m travelling and it won’t be possible that soon. Thank you anyway to point that out to me. Sorry for the mistake.