The Lamon beans or fagioli di Lamon [fah-JOH-lee dee Lah-MOHN] are special delicious beans, which obtained the IGP label (ggA or PGI).
Lamon beans are particularly delicate, digestible and have a thin skin. The seeds are only grown by small family farms in the territories of Lamon and Sovramonte while the production is actually made in a larger area, within the province of Belluno.
In order to verify that the production is conducted respecting rules and tradition, a Consortium for the Protection of the Lamon beans was created about 20 years ago.
The seeds are sown, by tradition, on May the 3rd, feast of the Holy Cross, while the harvest begins in the second half of August and ends in late September.
Varieties of Lamon beans:
1. Spagnol: oval and with red streaks, suitable for side dishes and salads.
2. Spagnolit: smaller, round, creamy white with red streaks, has very thin skin and it’s suitable for salads.
3. Calonega: slightly flattened, indicated for soups.
4. Canalino: with darker streaks, more rare because of its thicker skin (then less appreciated).
Fresh beans with pod can be stored for a few days in a cool, well-ventilated area, not exposed to the sun, or for 20 days in the refrigerator. If you peel them, then you must keep them in the refrigerator. You must therefore consume the beans within 24-48 hours. They must otherwise be frozen at -18° C (for 12 months maximum). Dry bean must be kept in a dry and well ventilated place, not exposed to the sun, at a temperature below 15° C.
To recognize the authentic product you need to check it. There must be the trademark of the Consortium (a woman with a head scarf podding beans).
Did you know that…
- Beans (like other legumes) are called “the meat of the poor“, thanks to its content of protein, vitamins and minerals. Its caloric and nutritional contribution is in fact comparable to that of red meat.
- Every year in Lamon, on the third weekend of September, take place the ‘Feast of the Bean”. There are exhibitions, shows, tastings and sales of the product. Local restaurants and stands prepare for the occasion traditional bean-based dishes.
If you want to taste a bean-based dish, read my post with the recipe of pasta and beans.
For more information go to the official website www.fagiolodilamon.it